Music students take part in All-state performances

Katya Tarabrina, Staff Writer

Students from the Manhattan High Orchestra, Choir and Band travelled to the Century II Performing Arts and Convention Center in Wichita to participate in the All-state concert today. The musicians stayed in Downtown Wichita for three days.

Many of the performers felt that their All-state performance went well and were proud of their achievement.

“I would say it went rather well, I think we sounded really good,” senior Jack Laswell, tenor two singer, said.

Students got to meet a lot of different people from different schools allowing them to make friends from schools from across Kansas.

“It was so much fun,” said senior Chamber Choir member Jayden Gittle. “I got to meet a bunch of new people [and] make new friends.”

The choir had around 256 people performing that evening. With that many voices, the experience was thrilling for participants.

Meanwhile, the orchestra performed two pieces of music by Mahler and Tchaikovsky, which were outside their comfort zone.

“The conductor had really high standards so we were definitely challenged,” senior violin player Emily Keeley said.

Despite this challenge, orchestra participants pulled through and had an experience to remember.

“All-state orchestra is such an incredible experience,” Keeley said. “Getting to play with some of the finest musicians in the state is really an honor.”

The band worked hard on the details during the performance, and though certain sections were behind, they still didn’t fail to please the audience.

“We had two very difficult pieces that not a lot of high schoolers can play yet,” junior bassoon player Joshua Brandt said. “Our conductor made us work really hard on them so we could get through them and in the end it sounded great.”

Overall, the students who participated in the All-state choir, orchestra and bands were satisfied with the results of their hard work.

“It was truly, truly amazing the level of musicianship with all of the people there was absolutely insane,” Brandt said. “It really changed the way that I think about music.”