Forensics heads into mid-season with national qualifications

The+Manhattan+High+Forensics+team+poses+in+front+of+Topeka+High+with+their+awards+at+their+meet+Saturday.+The+team+took+home+another+national+qualification+to+make+three+total%2C+as+well+as+another+state+qualification+to+adorn+their+wall.+Photo+courtesy+of+

Mac Phrommany.

The Manhattan High Forensics team poses in front of Topeka High with their awards at their meet Saturday. The team took home another national qualification to make three total, as well as another state qualification to adorn their wall. Photo courtesy of

Meredith Comas, Online Editor-in-Chief

Manhattan High Forensics is steaming into mid-season success, the wall of the cinderblock E-hall classroom now home to 17 state qualification certificates and two nationally qualified performance. They scored yet another national qualification last weekend at Topeka High from junior Trinity Brockman, making three total national qualifications, along with another state qualification from junior Tammy Kaadze.

I’m delightfully surprised,” head coach Mac Phrommany said. “I knew we’d have a handful of national qualifications because we have wickedly driven students but to have this turnout for competitive qualification is just a really really cool experience.”

Brockman, who both nationally qualified and took second in Congressional Debate, expressed a feeling of success and surprise in her achievement.

It is pretty exciting to qualify in congressional debate,” Brockman said. “I haven’t really done it that much, I’ve only done it four or five times before… so it was pretty exciting to qualify in an event I haven’t done a lot but I’m excited for other national qualifiers.”

In addition to Brockman’s success in Congressional, junior novice Tanya Singh and freshman Sam Delong have also been successful, currently standing as the first and third alternates to nationals.

In addition to nationals in June, Brockman and Delong are already discussing next season, as the pair both plan to attend the Dartmouth Debate Institute — the second most prestigious debate camp in the country — over the summer.

“We’re excited, ready to prep, and ready to make us one of the best teams on the national circuit,” Delong said.

Forensics will continue their season at Seaman High next week.