Michael Dorst named new Manhattan High principal

Sophia Comas, Sports Editor

Last week students, parents and staff at Manhattan High waited in anticipation for who the next building principal would be, they can now be put to ease with the announcement of who will hold the position.

Current sophomore principal Michael Dorst has been named the new building principal, putting an

end to the long process of searching for a candidate.

“[I am] extremely happy,” Dorst said. “Just excited and reflective over the last 11 years and actually all my years in education.”

After weeks of careful reviews and interviews by the search committee, the Board of Education was able to reach a final conclusion between the top five candidates. The announcement came during the Board of Education meeting last Wednesday after the search committee gave an official recommendation the week before.

“I am confident there will be a smooth transition in leadership from [Greg] Hoyt and Mr. Dorst,” Dr. Marvin Wade, superintendent, said in the district press release. “We are fortunate that both are respected professionals who have already demonstrated consistent dedication to the students, staff, families and everyone associated with Manhattan High School.”

Dorst is thankful for being able to participate in the interview process for a variety of reasons, not only for having received the position but also so he could evaluate himself as an educator.

“It was a solid reflection about my job, my professional life and what I’ve done at Manhattan High School and what I want to do in the future,” Dorst said. “It also prepared me too if I wasn’t selected and still throughout that process it felt really great to value and appreciate the school and the district.”

Following the announcement, Wade issued a public thank you via email to MHS staff as well as the members of the search committee. He also thanked members of the community who participated in the online survey where they provided input on what qualities they would like to see in whomever received the position.

“Mr. Dorst has extensive high school administrative experience and a solid understanding of how current topics in education have relevance for the continued success of MHS and our students,” Wade said.

As for what the future will hold, Dorst has assured students and staff alike that he will remain dedicated to providing a positive learning environment encouraging growth in the school.

“I’ve been fortunate to be a part of Manhattan High School for the past 11 years,” Dorst said in the press release. “I’m honored to have this opportunity, and I look forward to working with our amazing students, staff, families, and community in our continued growth as a great school.”