Boys golf off to a slow start

Kamryn Bussmann, Staff Writer

As spring sports season rolls around, athletes can’t wait to jump into their season. For the Manhattan High boys golf team, that just isn’t the case. Due to weather not wanting to be on the boys’ side, their season got pushed back by two weeks, which caused a loss of weeks for practice leading up to their first tournament this weekend.

“The lack of early season practice will definitely have an impact on our first few tournaments,” senior Josh Priddle said. “I think as the season goes on and we get into our practice routine the impact will not be very noticeable.”

With a different season start time, there’s still a normality to this year. There are four returning varsity players, Priddle, senior Cody Begnoche and juniors Mitch Munsen and Casey Gritton.

“We got some experience coming back which is good, and some new faces that I think have a lot of potential,” Munsen said.

Seniors Gavin Kohn and Harris De Noble, junior Collin Devane, along with freshman Grant Snowden also golf for the Varsity team. With their experience, they fully expect their season to go well.

“I’m excited for the season,” Priddle said. “We have a lot of returning Varsity members who have worked very hard during the off season.”

This week is full of their first days of practice before they head to Garden City on Friday. On Saturday the boys will play 18 holes at Buffalo Dunes Golf Course and another 18 at Southwind Golf Course. The boys hope to play well while also being able to enjoy their first meet.

“What I look forward the most this year is being able to compete against other schools while doing it on a team with the guys I practice with,” Munsen said. “And have fun while doing it.”