Indians battle back to beat Topeka High

Aloera Ostermann, Staff Writer

During the Indians face off with Topeka High on April 16 the road to victory wasn’t easy but the Indians managed to do it, beating the Trojans 3-2.

Although at halftime the Indians were down 2-1. They hadn’t been connecting well or playing together during the first half, but at halftime their coach lit a fire under the girls to motivate them to play better.  

“He kind of told us … we could play better than how we were playing then. And like, we could beat this team,” junior Riley Williamson said. “He kind of just told us straight up like, we need to just step up and do better.”

From that point on the girls started connecting better on the field. Sophomore Reagan Geisbrecht had scored the team’s only goal in the first half and she kept up her momentum scoring again in the second half to tie the game.

“When we tied the game everyone knew that we did have a chance now like we could

pull out with a win,” Williamson said. “For the offense, I think they just started working really well together and like connecting and people wanted to score and that’s something that we’ve had trouble with in the past games.”

With the offense working hard and together junior Alayna Girard was able to score the Indians final goal off of a free kick putting the score 3-2. That goal sealed the game for the Indians allowing them to walk off the field with their fourth victory of the season. The team has only seven regular-season games left putting them past the halfway mark.

“I think it puts our season into perspective,” junior Kamryn Bussmann said. “You have to give 100% in the games because we’re not guaranteed everything and that’s one thing that like our Coach Seth [Yurgel] stresses to us that you just have to go out there and play as hard as you can because once it’s gone, it’s gone.”

The Indians will continue their season hosting next Tuesday versus Trinity Academy and next Saturday versus Blue Valley Stilwell.