Student Council names 2019 – 2020 officers

Kaitlin Clark, Print Editor-in-Chief

As the school year begins to come to an end, Manhattan High Student Council is planning for the year that lies ahead, including naming the newly-elected officers.

The 2019-2020 student body officers will consist of current juniors Hannah Higgins as president, Will Bannister as vice president, Elizabeth Kim as secretary and Lexi Feather as treasurer.

“It’s always been my goal and what I’m reaching for so when one of your goals comes true it’s always a really happy experience,” Higgins said regarding her victory.

During Higgins and Bannister’s run for president and vice president, they stressed the importance of having StuCo connected with the student body. One way they hope to do this is by having one representative from each advisory attend a StuCo meeting once a month in order for information to be passed on to advisories in an easier way. Additionally, they hope to start a podcast for the community to know what’s happening with StuCo and the wider Manhattan High community.

While their goals will take some time and effort, current StuCo officers believe that next year’s officers will be up to the task.

“It sounds like Will and Hannah have a really good plan when it comes to getting representation in advisory,” student body president Parker Wilson, senior, said.

Next year’s officers intend to improve what they can, but there are also current practices that they plan on continuing as they step into their new leadership roles.

“I think that all of the activities that StuCo puts on like Mr. MHS and the Freshmen on the Hill and the blood drives, all those things have such great structure and bones to work with,” Higgins said. “I think just making everything better and taking it to the higher standard is what will make those events great for the students.”

Even though the upcoming end of the school year means saying farewell to some school leaders, eager newcomers are stepping up to continue the tradition of excellence at Manhattan High.

“It’s kind of bittersweet, but I’ve really enjoyed my time here,” Wilson said. “I think it’s my time to go and hand off the torch.”