Softball wins two, loses two before week break

Cole Schmitt, Social Media Manager

The Manhattan High Indians softball team defeated Highland Park at home in a doubleheader last Tuesday before falling away from home to Washburn last Friday.

“Against Highland [Park] we talked and worked [well],” freshman Kaitlyn Gregoire said. “We showed in practice more than we have before.”

The Indians defeated Highland Park 10-0 and 13-3. The wins snapped an eight game losing streak. Gregoire pitched all five innings in both games. She only allowed three runs in all 10 innings combined.

Seniors Allie Grant and Haleigh Harper led by example in the double header. Harper went 4-4, having two doubles, one triple, and a two-run home run, her sixth of the season. Grant hit 3-3, scoring four runs and having to runs batted in. Sophomore Lindsey Wilson also contributed, hitting the walk-off in both games.

“We have been improving as a team,” Grant said. “We need to work on continuously putting in the same amount of intensity and energy each and every game. [We need to] also be aggressive at the plate.”

After defeating Highland, the Indians traveled to face off with Washburn Rural away from home. The turnout was not what the Indians were looking for as they fell both games to Washburn 0-10.

[Washburn] was a good team,” Gregoire said. “They hit the ball but our defense was good. We just didn’t get our bats on it like we should of. I feel if we hit the ball it might have been a different game.”

The Indians get a week-long break before playing host to the Hayden Wildcats this Friday at Annenberg Park. This will be the second to last game before the playoffs start.

“[We need] to work hard and leave it all on the field,” Gregoire said. “[We can’t] feel like we could have done better.”