Soccer ends regular season on high note

Aloera Ostermann, Blue M Editor-In-Chief

The Lady Indians had a few unexpected turns happen during their season last week. They started with a win against Great Bend (7-0) then their game against Wichita Northwest was canceled.

“It was kind of frustrating because a win would’ve helped us out for state,” said junior Kamryn Bussmann. “We always want the best seed possible so taking away that potential win could’ve hurt us.”

With the team already being one game short, their game versus Shawnee Heights was an important one. The girls came out strong despite the cold weather with sophomore Faith Beyer scoring the first goal at the 34-minute mark. Then sophomore Sam Gryncewicz had her shot on goal blocked by the opposing team’s goalie but freshman Ella Ruliffson was there to finish the shot putting the Indians up 2-0 at the 29-minute mark. While the Indians didn’t score the rest of the half, senior goalie Graycn Evans logged two saves at the 19:14-minute mark as well as at 8:43 remaining in the half. With the team’s performance, the girls went into halftime with a score of 2-0.

“[Leading at half] just showed us that we can do it,” Bussmann said. “We can go out there and play to our strengths and win any game.”

After that, the Indians cruised to victory with sophomore Reagan Geisbrecht scoring the Indians third and final goal of the game, allowing the Indians to leave the regular season with a record of (11-3-1).

The girls will play their first round of regionals tonight, where they will host Junction City at 5 p.m.

Photo by Joshua Flickinger
Junior Alayna Girard gets ready to throw the ball in from the sidelines as she looks for someone open during the game against Shawnee Heights High School on May 9th.