Summer volleyball camps prove effective

Rachel Edie, Business Manager

In summer, it’s common for school sports teams to practice and condition in order to stay in shape for the upcoming season and the volleyball team is no exception. 

Volleyball camp started at the beginning of the summer and ended on July 12. They had morning practices in the school gym from 8 to10 a.m. and during this time they focused mostly on conditioning, passing and setting, drills and some scrimmage games.

One major change this year is the coaches. They have gained almost all new coaches from last year. Varsity head coach is Krista Schmitz, varsity assistant coach is Jenna Macke, J.V. coach is Kylie Corneliusen and freshman coach is Scott Mall. 

“Personally, I love the new coaches,” sophomore Marlee Hodges said. “I really like the way they help us and explain what’s right and what’s wrong. I learn and get better that way.”

The extra summer practices have helped the team to become adjusted to the new coaches and their methods of playing. The teams have bonded as much as possible even though the teams are not yet concrete. 

Before they know if they are on the team, players will go to camps and practices as much as possible to improve their skills. However, it still does not allow them an official spot on the team until tryouts have passed. This can be nerve-racking for most girls but they stay optimistic considering that usually very few are cut after freshman year. All freshman players are on the Freshman team no matter their level, and sophomores, juniors and seniors all have an opportunity to either be on J.V. or Varsity teams. 

“I’m really just looking forward to playing and hopefully making the team,” sophomore Elle Klanderman said.

Following tryouts, the first day of practice for all three teams is Aug. 19, which stays consistent with all fall sports. There is a parent informational meeting in the North gym at West on Aug. 26 at 7 p.m., which isn’t mandatory but is encouraged by all coaches as it allows parents to be more up to date on schedules and details. The girls begin their competitive season on Sept. 3 in De Soto with both J.V. and Varsity teams playing De Soto High and Shawnee Heights.  

“I think this year is going to go really well,”  Hodges said. “We have a bunch of girls that are scrappy and multiple that have so much energy, which is awesome to have.”