Red Cross holds first meeting of year

Gage Mingo, Staff Writer

Last Wednesday, Manhattan High School’s Red Cross Club had its first meeting of the school year.

The club made sure that members were signed up for Volunteer Connection, which is how Red Cross keeps track of volunteer hours and attendance. They also talked about the goals of the American Red Cross and what event the club itself will be doing. 

Red Cross Club will hold their officer elections this Wednesday, instead of last year’s second semester election.  The change is due to timing, as last year the club was trying to become officially sponsored by the American Red Cross. Now an official subsidy of ARC, the club will be hosting training in CPR, first aid, and Automated External Defibrillator Certificate for any students. 

The club plans on touring Irwin Army Community Hospital or University of Kansas Medical Center, as well as helping throughout the year at events such as the annual Relay for Life, Christmas at the Veterans Hospital, making care packages and having various speakers. The club is doing what they can to help the community while helping the students learn more about giving back. 

“[RCC is] focused on giving students more chances at community service [and] allowing students to get more medical hands-on experience and exposing our high school scene to ARC in general,” RCC president Elizabeth Kim, senior, said.