Girls tennis wins first game of season

Madison Ritz, Student Life Editor

Despite the outrageous heat on the tennis courts, the Manhattan High Varsity girls tennis team traveled to Junction City for their first game — competing against Salina South, Junction City, and Lawrence Free State — winning the first match of the season on last Thursday. 

Freshman Jillian Harkin played on one single at the Sept. 5 match, along with junior Kayla Lei, who played two singles and one double, senior Joanna Park and sophomore Hannah Loub played one double and lastly, senior Kate McGee and freshman Maura Wiens played two doubles.

“I was super proud that I [handled my] nerves,” Harkin said. “It was my first meet in high school tennis.”

Harkin placed first in her single along with Lei, both scoring 3-0. Park and Loub, placed second with a score of 2-1 along with McGee and Wiens. 

With the heat being really bad the past few practices for them, they were able to adapt to the temperatures during their hot game.

“We were a little concerned about the heat today, us as coaches,” head coach Tony Ingram said. “But the girls played well through it.”

According to Ingram, the team can improve on being more consistent, especially in their net play for doubles and serving.

Despite the outrageous heat, the team feels that they did really good their first match, and are ready to take on another. 

“I think the team performed really well,” Harkin said. “Especially for the first meet of the season.”