Varsity tennis continues winning streak

Madison Ritz, Blue M Student Life Editor

Varsity girls tennis spent their morning playing in the Centennial League against Washburn Rural, Hayden, Seaman, Emporia, Topeka High, Topeka West, Junction City and Highland Park. Varsity played at Topeka High on Monday, placing first for the sixth time while maintaining their streak.

Freshman Jill Harkin played one singles match, junior Kayla Lei played one singles, freshman Maura Wiens and senior Kate McGee played doubles and seniors Joanna Park and Kira Schartz played a doubles match.

“I think I played really well and I’m so excited that I pulled off a win in singles and that the team was able to win League for the second year in a row,” Harkin said. “Winning League has been a goal for me the whole season so it’s a really good feeling to have the title of League champion.”

From the meet, Harkin scored first place, becoming singles champion for this match (5-0) with an overall score of 28, Lei placed second (4-1) with an overall score 21, partners Wiens and McGee placed sixth (3-2), and back-to-back champions Schartz and Park placed first (5-0). 

“I think yesterday was special because we all gave 100% to our matches and we were really hungry for a title,” Harkin said. “Holding the trophy was a really nice reward for all the hard work we have put in over the season.”

Having a successful season so far, Manhattan placed first (83), while Washburn Rural placed second (72), Hadyen third (65), Seaman fourth (63), Emporia fifth (47), Topeka High sixth (38), Topeka West seventh (28), Junction City eighth (19) and Highland Park ninth.

Varsity will play their next match on Oct. 12 for their Regional Tournament at 8 a.m. at Wichita East competing against Junction City, Wichita Southeast, Derby, Wichita East, Topeka High, Washburn Rural and Wichita Heights.