Chamber Orchestra commences performance season

Sophia Comas, Online Editor-in-Chief

The Manhattan High Chamber Orchestra experienced new feelings of adulthood when they performed with the Kansas State University Symphony Orchestra for their Beethoven & the Blues concert at McCain Auditorium on Oct. 20.

The performance was the group’s first official concert of the season, commencing K-State’s second concert of their 138th season under the theme “Perspectives.”

According to director Nate McClendon, the piece the group played was rather difficult and in order to better prepare for the performance, they mimicked the college schedule of not rehearsing every day.

“The concert went incredibly well,” McClendon said. “Joining the KSU orchestra was also very rewarding.”

The group also spent only one class time reading through their music for “Beethoven’s Symphony No.2,” a piece in four movements with greater scope and energy. Their practice time was limited to four rehearsals total, which was the same amount for K-State’s group.

“As a teacher, I enjoyed the opportunity to give these students a college experience,” McClendon said. “

According to senior Liz Efken, the nerves played a minor part in adjusting to the environment because the group knew how to work together in spite of not knowing everyone.

“Meeting new people and being in a different atmosphere gave us the experience of working as a team even when you hardly know them,” Efken said. “We adapted pretty quick.”

Along with showing the group how to intermingle with other musicians, it showed them how to incorporate orchestra into college life. Whether they choose to continue with in college or not, the experience conveyed how high school and college are different yet similar. 

“It wasn’t nearly as intimidating as I originally thought,” Efken said. “All the K-State players were really nice.”

While the group had little trouble with working in a group of dozens of new people, they had to get used to the different space McCain Auditorium presents. Unlike Rezac Auditorium, the building was adequately spaced for a much larger audience. 

“The structure of the ceiling was weird,” Efken said. “It cut off instead of rounding out like the back of the stage.”

According to Efken, the strings had to alter their seating a bit so that the wind section didn’t overpower them. People toward the front of the stage also struggled to make themselves heard. Despite these setbacks, however, the group is still pleased with the results of their performance. 

““It sounded louder to me,” Efken said. “Overall, it was nice.”