NHS plans for eventful end of semester

Meredith Comas, Print Editor-in-Chief

The Manhattan High chapter of National Honors Society is in for an eventful end of first semester, starting this weekend by doing a can drive for local food pantries, along with raking leaves for staff members as a service of appreciation.

“NHS is always quick to respond to the needs of service, since it is a service organization,” sponsor Robin Mall said. 

According to Mall and NHS club officers, while they are planning a multitude of events, the club has struggled with member participation in past years. However, the club is feeling optimistic about participation this year.  

“It’s always hard when it’s student run, making sure that we’re getting a lot of participation and also just making sure that as leaders, all of us officers are doing well when we have our own issues too,” NHS communications officer Abbey Shaneyfelt, senior, said. “I’d say just balancing that has been an issue… I think all of our members are great and have been really good at participating.”

According to club secretary Brian Dudley, senior, member participation is up this year from previous years. The implementation of a 30-point system — where members receive points for participating in club events and must meet 30 every semester to remain a member — helps in this aspect.

However, the main focus of the club isn’t gaining points; it’s about community, service to others and friendship.

“It gives you an opportunity to contribute or be impactful outside of your school, or outside of your academics,” Dudley said. “It’s also an opportunity to have fun because you meet up with your friends and you can volunteer and do something for your community.”

According to Mall, the cub plans to finish out the semester by participating in the annual Club Feast hosted by Student Council, continuing to work concessions and Kansas State University football games, as well as providing childcare for the choir concerts — if they can get speakers — some activity regarding mental health.

“Members get benefits from providing service to their school, and serving other students in a variety of ways and I think those are benefits to the students directly,” Mall said.