Basketball falls twice in one week

Cole Schmitt, Social Media Manager

The Manhattan boys basketball team moved into sixth place on the west side of the standings after last Friday night’s loss to Topeka High and last Tuesday night’s defeat to Washburn Rural. The Indians stand at 12-6 on the year and are hoping they can turn the tables this week. 

“If we can challenge ourselves to be a bit better we can take a step in the right direction,” senior guard Peyton Weixelman said. “It starts with our approach in practice.”

For the seven seniors, their time is coming to an end. Knowing they only have two guaranteed home games left — maybe more in the playoffs — they are less worried about these final games and more concerned with the opportunities that still hang in the balance.

“I think a lot of us understand that the season is coming to a close but we’re more concerned about relishing the opportunities we still have,” Weixelman said. “Despite the small number of games we have left we still can find ourselves in a good sub state [bracket] if we take care of business this week and hopefully make a run at State.”

The Indians are guaranteed one playoff game at home but are still fighting and hoping for luck with getting a second one, which would be the one to send them to State. 

“Of course [we would like] to play both games at home but the reality is that we’re going to have to [go on the road] and get a win,” Weixelman said. “When it comes to who we play, it doesn’t matter. We’re going to attack each day with a State tournament approach and we will see how it plays out. We’re just excited to have the opportunity to extend the season and be around each other as long as we can.”

Theoretically, the Indians could play host to Wichita East, Liberal, Wichita Heights, Garden City or even their rivals Junction City in the first round. If they advanced from there, they would likely travel to play either Campus, Lawrence, Washburn or Topeka High. 

The Tribe will be looking to increase their seeding in the final week of the regular season. They play host to Emporia tonight on senior night, and then will turn it back around and host Highland Park Friday for the make-up game from earlier this year.