Girls golf takes second, third of season

Julianna Poe, Trending Editor

Manhattan High Varsity girls golf fell by 31 strokes with a score of 374 and a second place finish at the Manhattan Invitational yesterday.

“I just feel like this was a little bump in the road,” head coach Paige McCarthy said. “I feel like this is going to make them a little more hungry this week to really focus and work hard.”

Prior to Monday, the girls had collected five total first-place wins and two second-place finishes, along with several individual medals. Going into their second home meet of the season, the girls hosted three teams — Washburn Rural, Emporia and Shawnee Heights — and 30 total golfers. Unfortunately, the team lost to Washburn Rural, who scored a 343. In third with a 393 was Emporia with Shawnee Heights in fourth with a 411.

“We could have scored better. That’s all I think I have to say,” McCarthy said. “Usually you have a few girls that are playing well, but it just seemed like every girl had some bad breaks.”

Despite this, the girls averaged a 97 as a team, with a three-way tie between each of their own. Senior Rhys Phipps took the lead with a 92 and seventh place. Seniors Andi Siebert, Emily Yerman and A.J. Ryan scored ninth with 94s. Trailing by seven strokes, senior Jaiden Weixelman shot a 101 and freshman Rylee Wisdom hit a 105.

“I think [Siebert, Yerman and Ryan] would’ve rather tied at 85 rather than the score they shot,” McCarthy said. “If they tie, they’d want it to be on a good score.”

Next Monday, the five seniors will travel to compete at Regionals.

“Even though today wasn’t our best day, I feel optimistic going into Regionals,” McCarthy said. “Every one of them has had some good rounds this year and they know that they can do that.”