Importance of balancing your life

Koston Peterson, Podcast Director

Life is crazy. 

Many students are overwhelmed having to deal with jobs, academics, extracurriculars and maintaining a social life

When COVID-19 came along, this balance was completely thrown off for many students with school being fully online, which was a different experience for everyone involved. The lockdown made maintaining a proper social life a complete pain.

Now that we are slowly getting back into the rhythm of this new normal life, I feel that many students have lost this balance, including me. 

Work is tricky to balance because it’s not just you controlling it and it’s still completely possible to balance it. What I like to do is make sure I have at least a day or two where I don’t work to just catch up on whatever I need such as school work, so this time could be used to hang out with friends or catch up on sleep. One beneficial step is to schedule with managers; for example if you worked a 20-hour week but didn’t actually need that much money, lowering the hours worked and spending that time elsewhere could be a way more advantageous use of time.

I hear an awful lot that students have a heavy school load and it’s barely manageable. However, many of the classes these students are taking aren’t actually needed for either graduation or college. Changing your schedule to only take the ones needed to get into college or graduate could do wonders to the excessive workload many find themselves in.

Having a social life is important, but while facing a global pandemic, it’s a lot harder to do so. Many students are swamped with work and school unfortunately have to let their social life get kicked to the curb. Personally to help with this, if my friend or I ever have a project we usually try to team up on it. This helps lessen our school load and also gives us time to hang out and talk with each other.

With a little time, hard work and some scheduling, having a healthy balance is very possible and doable. School work could be mitigated by changing some classes around that aren’t actually needed for you to take, therefore lessening the workload. Mixing school and friends lessens school work and creates time to hangout and have healthy relationships.