Boys basketball drops two games

Cole Schmitt, Online Editor-in-Chief

The Manhattan High boys basketball team fell in both of their games last week. The first one against Highland Park on Wednesday where they lost 40-65. They followed up with a second loss in a highly-contested battle on Friday night against Washburn at home 53-59. 

“I think what Highland [Park] did was just bringing energy and runnings on us,” sophomore Cameron Carr said. “Washburn really took advantage of our turnovers and missed shots.”

The Highland Park game was out of reach for the Indians as early as the second quarter, when the Scots had a double-digit lead heading into the half. From there, they never looked back, as Manhattan couldn’t get within 10 and the Scots widened their lead. 

“I think since our break it has put us back a little bit but I think we are getting more connected as a team and playing a team like Washburn who doesn’t make many mistakes, it’s hard to play against,” Carr said. 

The Washburn game was a different story, though. The Indians and Rural battled neck and neck throughout the first half, with the half ending 31-35. In the second half the Junior Blues went up by 10 in the fourth quarter and it seemed as if that was the end for Manhattan. 

All year this team has had to deal with adversity, especially at home where they are without their home crowd due to COVID-19. But on Friday night, a small number of students were allowed in on Senior Night and it made all the difference, as the Indians fought back into the game cutting the lead within two at the two minute mark. The gymnasium was the loudest it’s been this year.

“It felt more like a real game,” senior Owen Braxmeyer said. “We knew we had to come out with energy and the students helped out with that.”

The Indians will be on the road twice this week against Seaman Tuesday and Hayden on Friday night. Next week, the playoffs will begin.

“We need to stick to our game,” Braxmeyer said. “We need to play good [defensively], moving the ball on offense and getting good quality shots.”