Forensics placed first at Washburn Rural

McKayla Clarksnodgrass, Photo Editor

The Manhattan High Forensics team placed first at the Washburn Rural Forensics Invitational.

[It] was a very successful tournament,” head coach Mac Phrommany said. “We had more students than I’ve ever had make it to the final rounds.”

Freshman Allie Cloyd played first and State qualified in Program of Oral Interpretation and placed fifth in Prose. Freshman Connor Buchanan competed in Impromptu Speaking and placed fifth in International Extemporaneous Speaking. Freshman Makayla Anhorn placed sixth in Original Oratory.

Freshman Eli Kunz competed in Prose and Impromptu, placing third in Prose. Sophomore Jonah Dorsett placed first and State qualified in Dramatic Interpretation. Sophomore JB Brock competed in Lincoln Douglas Debate  and International Extemporaneous Speaking. Sophomore Lasirra Hines competed in Original Oratory and Impromptu Speaking, placing first and State qualifying in Original Oratory. Sophomore Annabelle Jung competed in Lincoln Douglas Debate, Original Oratory, Impromptu Speaking and Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking.

Senior Nicole Savage placed first in Impromptu Speaking, given a perfect score by every judge. Junior Megan Long placed second and State qualified in Original Oratory and Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking. Junior Kris Long competed in Program of Oral Interpretation, Prose, and Impromptu Speaking, placing fourth in Program of Oral Interpretation.

Despite many of the students competing in the same categories, the students keep a friendly atmosphere.

“They’re all so helpful [with] each other, like everybody is so willing to help each other even though we’re like competing against each other,” Anhorn said.

Freshman Anvesha Sharda placed second and State qualified in Impromptu Speaking and placed fourth in Original Oratory and International Extemporaneous Speaking. Freshman Jordyn West competed in Informative Speaking and Impromptu Speaking. Freshman Zach O’Haver competed in Original Oratory and Impromptu Speaking. Freshman Paige Shurtz competed in Original Oratory and Impromptu Speaking. Sophomore Eddie Bruegger competed in Prose and Impromptu Speaking.

Forensics will meet throughout the week with the Big Questions Debate National Qualifier, the Shawnee Heights Tournament and Congress National Qualifier.