Forensics students qualify for Nationals

McKayla Clarksnodgrass, Photo Editor

The Manhattan High Forensics team had multiple students qualify for Nationals at the Flint Hill Congress National Qualifier. Students also competed in the Lawrence High Invitational and Shawnee Heights Invitational.

“In the final round of Congress, we had four out of the top 12 competitors, which was the majority in Congress,” head coach Mac Phrommany said. “And a very good sign going into the final round.”

Sophomore Greyson Hickel entered the Flint Hill Congress National Qualifier in Senate. Freshman Allina Dougherty was a Super Session finalist in the top 12. Sophomore Annabelle Jung was a Super Session finalist in the top 12. Freshman Helinna Bontrager placed sixth in Super Session, making her the second alternate for Nationals.

Junior Sam DeLong entered in Senate at the Flint Hill Congress National Qualifier, placing first overall and Nationally Qualifying. Freshman Anvesha Sharda placed fourth in Super Session, qualifying for Nationals.

“One of those National qualifiers is a freshman, which is exceedingly exciting to see,” Phrommany said, “That’s Anvesha Sharda. Our other national qualifier is Sam DeLong, who is a junior, who has qualified in Nationals before and is continuing that streak.”

Junior Bella Davis placed third in Dramatic Interpretation at the Lawrence High Invitational. Davis competed in Dramatic Interpretation at the Shawnee Heights Invitational. Freshman Sufian Khmous competed in Humorous Interpretation at the Shawnee Heights Invitational.

For the Flint Hill Congress National Qualifier, students have a work night the Thursday before the tournament to allow them time to prepare their speeches and run through their arguments.

“The reason the tournament was so successful this time around was because of the collaborative work that was done prior to the tournament,” Phrommany said, “so it was very cool to see.”

Forensics will meet throughout this week at the Garden City Qualifier, Lyons High School Qualifier, the Lincoln Douglas and Public Forum Debate National Qualifier, and the National Individual Events Qualifier.