Soccer beats T-High, loses to Bishop

Kris Long, Sports Editor

After winning against Topeka High 9-0 on Tuesday, Manhattan High girls soccer took a heartbreaking loss to Bishop Carrol on Saturday, conceding a goal in the last two minutes to end it 3-2 after winning against Topeka High 9-0 on Tuesday.

Carroll is one the most difficult teams on Manhattan’s schedule. The Wichita private school former state champions currently have a record of 8-2 and are first in the Greater Wichita League.

“I was actually pumped [to play Bishop],” senior Sam Grynkiewicz said. “I like playing good teams way better than teams that aren’t that good because there is more competition, and it shows us what we need to work on and then it also shows us how good we are and the confidence we need to have.”

The girls went 2-0 down in the mid-first half and had yet to respond by the half-time whistle, but came out strong in the second. Seniors Reagen Giesbrecht and Grynkiewicz both scored shots from well outside the box to equalize it in the beginning of the second.

“[They were] so well placed,” head coach Mike Sanchez said. “It was great and it got the bench all fired up.”

Manhattan, who had dominated the first half despite giving up two goals, spent most of the second half warding off shots and counterattacks from Carroll. The final winning goal from Carroll came off of a scrap in the box just before full time.

“I think [Bishop] had three good chances,” Sanchez said. I don’t know if I’d call [the third] good but they put those headers where our goalkeeper can’t get to …., it’s a little frustrating because they had two chances, two good opportunities and put them away.”

Manhattan’s team is relatively young and doesn’t have the same depth as the other top ranked teams in the region, which showed against Carroll towards the end of the match. Many of the girls played the full 80 minutes. Starter senior Faith Beyer is also out on injury, potentially for the rest of the season, meaning younger players are being forced to step up.

“We were tired,” Grynkiewicz said. “I think most of us didn’t go off except for like one or two people towards the end, I think we were not as quick on our toes. We were caught flat a few times.”

“[Beyer’s injury] at least for the seniors hit kind of hard,” Giesbrecht said. “So I think that has really motivated us to play as a team and play for each other.”

Saturday’s match was the second time the girls have come back from 2-0 down, the first being against Blue Valley in the second game of the season. Despite the loss, they remain competitive to make it at state in May.

“I think we outworked them,” Grynkiewicz said. “I think it looked like we wanted it more and I can tell we all want that Manhattan wanted it more… I think it shows us that we deserve to go to state, we deserve any spot we have in the postseason, [because] we held our own against state champs.”

MHS had an equally strong showing last Tuesday against Topeka High, which ended just before mercy rules at 9-0. Four goals from Giesbrecht, two from freshman Reese Snowden, and points from Grynkiewicz, junior Delayney Lunsway and freshman Emery Rullifson made up the final score. 

Manhattan will play Trinity Academy at home next on April 27.