Senioritis a real and dangerous thing

Cole Schmitt, Online Editor-in-Chief

Many seniors, either at the first or final semester, begin to get lazy and not do what they’re supposed to, like me. 

When I was a freshman, sophomore and junior, all I would worry about is getting good grades, getting to school on time and making sure I did everything I was supposed to do. Now I’m a senior and those are the least of my worries. The unofficial disease can lead to problems and shouldn’t be left alone.

First of all, I want to get something straight. I’m not saying that seniors having senioritis is a good thing, and I’m not saying every underclassmen should feel more “free” when they get to be a senior so they can be lazy. In fact, it is not a good thing to let our grades, attendance or even  letting it lead someone’s attitude to get them in trouble. 

I have more absences this year than any other year just because I feel like some classes are not worth attending, because I can just do it online. Some of that may be because the COVID-19 pandemic has allowed us to do a lot of our schoolwork online, but I know many past seniors that feel the same way even with no pandemic.

Second, it seems like most of the classes we take as seniors these days are just study halls. For many, we just sit and work on what is due in the coming days or weeks for the whole hour and a half, so it seems pointless as we could just be doing that at home or at a later time. Many seniors also have early release, late start or both for one or two hours of the day, which makes the time at school even shorter and hard to stay concentrated when you know you’re getting out of school at 11 a.m.

Lastly, many of us have already been accepted into college, which makes us think we don’t really need any more high school work. Many times I’ve said to myself when I get a bad grade this year, “It doesn’t matter, I’ve already been accepted into college.” That might be true, but who knows, colleges can pull our scholarships and even our admission if we don’t continue to perform to our normal standard

In conclusion, because of COVID allowing us to do school work at home, classes mostly just having work time and majority being accepted into college already, senioritis sets in hard and is hard to get out of once you get it. I know it first hand as I am living it right now, and it’s not healthy, but there is really no cure for it.