ASU holds Diwali celebration

Eddie Bruegger, Audio Producer

To celebrate the annual holiday Diwali, Asian Student Union held a party on campus after school last Thursday. Diwali is a primarily Indian holiday that is about recognizing the triumph of light over darkness. 

The event was held in the alumni room, which was decorated with candles, stringed lights and ribbons. Music and food were also part of the atmosphere that transformed the room. 

After students arrived, there was a short presentation that gave some background on Diwali. Students learned about the purpose of the holiday and some of the traditional food that is eaten during the period. The presentation allowed for students who did not celebrate Diwali to educate themselves on the traditions of the holiday.

“It’s just exposing others to cultures that they aren’t aware of, or they have not been familiarized with,” senior and ASU co-president Jecca Park said. 

Students who celebrate Diwali shared some of their own traditions that they have at home. Some of the most common were placing a candle in every room in the home and lighting sparklers to celebrate.

“I think that … the Indian population here [has] such a rich culture and I think it’s so cool that they are willing to share with us what they celebrate,” Park said.

After learning about people’s traditions and the food, students had the opportunity to try some of it while they talked together in the commons.

Though Diwali is commonly celebrated over multiple days, the official date for this year is Nov. 4.