Swim and dive start season off strong

Avery Inman, Sports Editor

Kicking off the season with two meets last week, the boys swim team earned a third and a second-place finish.

The team headed into the first meet at Topeka on Wednesday with hopes for some high individual placings.

“Our expectation going into both meets was [that] they be competitive,” Brown said. “Maybe see if we can get a few state qualifying cuts.”

Senior Zeke Kohl started off the meet by placing second in the diving competition close behind the defending champion of 5a state dive.

“Zeke actually was second overall but the guy that beat him was the defending state champion and won the 5a state and is the league record holder,” head coach Alex Brown said, “so he competed really well against one of the best divers in the state.” 

That afternoon the swim team started the meet with a state-qualifying time in the 200 medley swam by the all-freshman team consisting of Max Steffensmeier, Will Graves, Ethan Balman and Sam Staedtler. 

“We got the state cut it felt really good everyone was really happy and prepared for it,” freshman Will Graves said. “Which is really exciting but we haven’t broken our own team record which was our goal but we are working towards it.”

Three days after the first meet the team brought home second from the Lansing relays meet, a meet of only relays, making it a great meet for team bonding and a fun time. 

“I’m really happy with the Lansing relay meet,” junior Mitchell Bunger said. “We had a lot of fun and we performed pretty well.” 

The team had two first-place finishes, in the 400 free and 200 fly. A second-place finish in 400 medley and third place finish in 200 medley. Heading into the next meets Brown is aiming to give the boys a broader range of opportunities .

“I think some of our biggest changes will come, especially from some of our top-level guys will come from doing a variety of events, not necessarily the same two [events] every time,” Brown said. “And for some of the new guys, hopefully getting them into events that are not just freestyle events and expanding their swimming repertoire as well.” 

The next meet is in Topeka on Jan 11. The team is hoping to continue to place well and improve personally and as a whole. 

“Some first-place finishes is always a goal,” Brown said, “and the teams that have beaten us are really good teams and we’ve beaten some good teams so far and we are a good team.”

Headed into the first meet there were high hopes. 

“Our expectation going into both meets was [that] they be competitive,” head coach Alex Brown said. “Maybe see if we can get a few state-qualifying cuts.”

Senior Zeke Kohl started off the meet by placing second in the diving competition close behind the defending champion of 5A state dive.

“Zeke actually was second overall but the guy that beat him was the defending State champion and won the 5A state and is the League record holder,” Brown said. “So he competed really well against one of the best divers in the state.” 

“We got the State cut,” freshman Will Graves said. “It felt really good [and] everyone was really happy and prepared for it, which is really exciting but we haven’t broken our own team record which was our goal but we are working towards it.”

The team had two first-place finishes, in the 400 free and 200 fly, a second-place finish in 400 medley and third place finish in 200 medley. Heading into the next meets Brown is aiming to offer the boys a broader range of opportunities..