Wear masks on transport

Ayana Jones, Staff Writer

When the mask mandate was lifted, people were given the option to continue wearing masks or not, but that didn’t translate to not wearing them on the bus.  Most students seem to have gotten this memo, hearing it from teachers, bus drivers and hearing it on the announcements every day, yet students, and some bus drivers, don’t wear them. Not wearing your mask on the bus has an effect on others, risks outbreak, and, in many ways, is irresponsible.

Masks don’t prevent us from catching COVID-19, or getting sick, but it does lessen the risk of getting it. However, people not wearing one has a greater risk. Students may contract COVID-19, choose to not wear their mask, then pass that on to someone who was sitting next to them on the bus they may, or may not, have had little to no contact with. No one, willingly, wants to have to miss a week of school and for people, like myself, being in class is the best way to retain information so not being able to be here can have a bad impact.

Not wearing mask  in an enclosed space has an effect on people around you. Since the only place we are required to wear masks now are on the bus and in the nurse’s office, it shouldn’t be hard to follow the rule.

I’ve seen people choose to not wear their masks all because their substitute bus driver wasn’t wearing theirs. Students are required to wear masks on the bus but they’ve denied it numerous times, it’s a safety violation and bus drivers have an influence on the students too, so their actions have an effect on the students.

Not wearing your mask is irresponsible; it’s even a bit reckless. Bus drivers drive us to school every morning and afternoon, and we should respect them enough to do such a small thing. Most of them are just asking us to wear it so why this becomes a difficult task for people is confusing. It’s only the bus ride to school and home; other than that you’re free to not have your mask on for the school day.

You should be considerate of people around you. Many students don’t wear theirs but still respect those around them. Wearing your mask is the least you can do for the students and staff. 

Having to be in quarantine and miss a week of school, may sound fine but when you’re falling behind in classwork, or miss out on something because of it, that’s not fun. Sometimes you can be in quarantine with no symptoms at all, which makes it even more annoying or unfortunate. It’s not unreasonable to wear it for a quick bus ride.