COVID-19 vaccination helpful now more than ever

Eddie Bruegger, Audio Producer

In the past few weeks, it seems like there have been more students and staff absent from school than any time this year. In almost all my classes, there were several students absent from class, often for the entire week. We did not even have school on Jan. 14 due to the amount of absences, among other factors. 

Keeping that in mind, much of this can be avoided by getting your COVID-19 vaccination and booster shot. Not only does being vaccinated keep people safe, it also relieves stress.

Receiving your vaccinations and booster can help keep you safe. It has already been proven that getting your vaccine can lower your chances of contracting the virus and also greatly lower the risk of serious symptoms if you do catch it. 

A few weeks ago, the Ascension Via Christi hospital in Wichita announced that they were completely full. This means that someone that needs an ICU bed or other treatment in the hospital may not be able to get the help they need. The important fact? 86% of their COVID-19 patients were unvaccinated. The vaccine is a simple step that can not only save your life, but allow others to receive essential medical care. 

Furthermore, by getting your vaccine and booster you can relieve stress regarding school. As previously mentioned, I have seen numerous students in almost all my classes absent either due to being in close contact or if they are actually not feeling well. These extended absences can often cause students to get behind on their schoolwork, even if they do their best to keep up at home. Teachers are also at a disadvantage from these student absences because they must give attention to the students that missed class in order to ensure that they get caught up. Now, if you do actually test positive for COVID-19, then a vaccination will not allow you to stay at school. But in regards to close contact, which seems to be the most common reason for quarantine, being vaccinated can allow you to remain at school. This means not missing out on important school work and getting behind. 

Unnecessary stress can be avoided with a simple step: getting vaccinated. Protect yourself, others and enjoy a peace of mind with protection against COVID-19.