Winter Homecoming tradition continues

Taryn Robinson, Sports Editor

Winter Homecoming, much like fall Homecoming, has been a tradition at Manhattan High School for numerous decades. This week of celebrating winter athletics and activities gets many high schoolers and staff excited to cheer on their fellow Indians during their basketball game against the Indian’s biggest rivalry: the Junction City Blue Jays.

“Winter homecoming is a tradition that we celebrate by planning a week of themes and inviting MHS alumni and the community to come back and support their alma mater at the basketball game vs. JC on Feb. 4,” senior Monroe Say said.

Pride is Manhattan High School’s event-planning committee and organizes fundraisers. They post information and homecoming spirit day outfits that students wear as well.

“Our job as Pride officers is to promote school spirit and participation for everyone leading up to the game on Friday,” Say said.

Winter Homecoming is planned for in advance, as Pride creates reminders and announcements for the school to see.

“For winter homecoming, [Pride] has made a ton of posters and has planned a pep rally,” Say said. “There is so much thought put into everything – we brainstorm ideas, bring them to administration, gather supplies, choreograph the PowderPuff boys routine and try to promote homecoming week as much as possible. We started planning everything shortly after fall homecoming because we knew we wanted a head start this time around.”

Much like other events, pep rallies have been canceled or moved to Bishop Stadium to ensure safety for students and staff.

“We will have a pep rally this winter season,” Pride sponsor Haleigh Jung said. 

“This year is different because unfortunately with the COVID cases where they are right now we are not able to do a pep rally on Friday during the school day,” Say said. “Our pep rally will be on Monday at 6:30 on Jan. 31 in one of the West campus gyms.”

With less restrictions this year compared to last, Pride was very excited to get students involved in the events leading up to Homecoming, however, many students were timid to get back into school spirit.

“We have been struggling this year getting students to participate because last year we missed out on so many fun events,” Say said. “For example, we had to cancel Mr. MHS this year because we didn’t have enough boys interested.” 

The goal Pride has this year is to get students back into the swing of things and to be more involved in supporting their school.

“Pride is hoping MHS students will have fun, dress up for spirit days, and get involved in events Pride has worked so hard to plan,” Say said.

This winter, the theme for Homecoming is board games, and will continue Monday-Friday of next week.

“Tribe met over the summer and we put some of our ideas together for homecoming. We all agreed on the idea of doing the theme based off of games,” Say said. “We’re super excited about the winter homecoming themes.”