‘You are Loved’ committee, Key Club, IPS craft Valentines cards

Laneya Christian, Staff Writer

With Valentine’s Day only a couple weeks away, students are preparing for annual celebrations. Amidst those preparations, junior Wesley Zeka has organized a project called: You are Loved.

“We’ve done this as a project ever since third grade,” Zeka said. “We are keeping the tradition alive.”

Members of the ‘You are Loved’ committee, Key Club and Interpersonal Skills will work together to make this experience come together.

“[On] Wednesday Key Club will begin making hearts throughout the next couple of weeks,” 

Key Club vice-president Jessica Zhang, junior, said. “It’s a really cool project that includes everyone.” 

Last Wednesday, Zeka and other students met after school to start working on the cards and will continue this Thursday.

“This is my first year doing this,” communications officer Sonika Khosla, sophomore, said. “I’m really excited to be involved.”

On Valentine’s Day the cards will be passed out around the school. During the afternoon the ‘You are Loved’ committee will go throughout the Manhattan community to hand out more cards.

“It will definitely take a while,” Zeka said. “There’s a lot of students but with the help of others the process should go quicker.”

Valentine’s Day’s message exhibits love and support, which in a creative way is shown in the cards visually. 

“By handing out these cards we let people know that they are loved,” Jamie Schnee, IPS teacher, said. “It’s important for [students] to know that they are supported and loved.”

The goal of the project is to spread the message to people who may not feel loved. the people who may not feel loved. Every year responses from community members and students is what makes this project grow bigger and better.

“I’m looking forward to making people’s day better,” Zhang said. “It’s nice to see people smile and see their face light up.”