Klieman accepts Shrine Bowl invitation

Anika Nyp, Staff Writer

For the 62nd time since the first Shrine Bowl in 1973, Manhattan High has a player in the benefit football game. 

Senior Colby Klieman, a mid-year graduate who is signed to play at Kansas Wesleyan next season, accepted the invitation at a recognition event on Thursday at MHS. Several Shriner members were present, as well as Klieman’s family, MHS football coaches and a few of his high school teammates. 

The Shrine Bowl was started with an idea about 50 years ago to bring together the best individual football players in the state for a fundraiser game, with the proceeds helping to fund the 22 hospitals supported by the Shriner organization, according to Shriner Rod Kalivoda. MHS has been part of it from the start, with two players in that first game, including MHS Hall of Fame member Gary Spani. 

For Klieman, playing in the game is an honor he hoped for throughout his career. 

“I’m really proud to be able to be selected for the Shrine Bowl,” Klieman said. “I always wanted to be recognized like that a little bit, just to show what we do….I’m just glad to be able to go out there and play. I’m excited to do that.”

Klieman is following in the footsteps of coach Joe Schartz, who also played in the Shrine Bowl after his senior high school season in 1993. 

“It’s a special event,” Schartz said. “We got to visit the hospital in St. Louis and see the kids, and it’s a great cause.”

According to Kalivoda, the process of choosing players is very selective and it’s an honor for MHS to have so many representatives in the game over the years. Coaches nominate players, who are then voted on by local media. From around 500 nominations, 40 players are selected for an “East” team and another 40 are selected for a “West” team. Klieman will play for the West team. 

“So it is very selective,” Kalivoda said, “and from that it just kind of goes to show it’s an honor to be selected to play, but it’s an honor that goes to Manhattan High school, it’s an honor that goes to the team, it goes to the coaches, it goes to the fans too. So you need to congratulate yourself too.”

Schartz, who was one of the speakers at the signing event, thanked the Shrine Bowl organizers for the recognition of the MHS football program. 

“You’re one of many from Manhattan High School,” Schartz told Klieman, “and it shows the strength of our program and how many great young men we’ve had come through our program, and Colby, I know you’re going to do a great job of representing us and I’m very happy that you’ve received this honor, too.”

After signing his acceptance of the honor, Klieman talked about what it means to be part of the Shrine Bowl tradition. 

“I’m super excited about it because I know that Manhattan has got this really good culture that produces really good players,” Klieman said. “I’m really excited to do that just because, especially my teammates being here and everything, I want to set a good example for them. And hopefully they can look up to me and try to, you know, do something cool too.” 

The Shrine Bowl game will kick off at 7 p.m. on July 23 at Carnie Smith Stadium in Pittsburg, Kansas.