Model UN attends virtual conference

McKayla Clark Snodgrass, Page Editor

Manhattan High’s Model UN students solved world problems virtually last week in an online version of their annual conference. 

“Unfortunately, we still did it virtually, which obviously for everyone’s safety is the best option, but there is just a difference in going and doing it in person,” sophomore Anvesha Sharda said.

The online format was different from previous in-person conferences. 

“For about like a week, we would meet on our typical councils,” junior Ava Reese said, “but debate was a bit more…virtual and there’s less interaction, but it’s still a really good learning experience, especially for those who are new to model UN.”

Students missed out on the interactions and traditions within their group that existed in the prior competitions.

“I mean, there’s a lot of like traditions set [MHS] Model UN has, such as eating at the Indian restaurant in Topeka and playing sardines in the hotel, and it kind of sucks that we can’t do that,” Reese said.

Reese was the secretary of a middle school council and vice president of a high school council at the conference.

“It was fun watching middle schoolers who have never debated before learn how to do it,” Reese said.

Sharda represented Turkey and placed first for best delegate and best speech of affirmation in General Assembly One.

“I think it’s really important, especially for competitors,” Sharda said. “It’s important for them to realize how important the UN is and how important the UN’s job is in maintaining world peace.”

Senior Sam DeLong attended the conference as the vice president for the middle school councils. DeLong helped run the amendment process and kept track of who spoke at certain times.

“I think a lot of people don’t understand how the United Nations work or like how foreign diplomacy works,” DeLong said. “So [Model UN’s] definitely [a] good activity and experience to kind of introduce people to the world of international relations and give them a little bit of experience knowing like what a world organization like the UN [can] actually do to address [the] kind of issues that are global.”