FACS students go on culinary trip around town

Laneya Christian, Staff Writer

Family and Consumer Science students senior Eduardo Barrera, senior Delayney Lunsway, junior Connor Andresen, junior Skylar Dechant, junior Axel Fraire, junior Dylan Goodsel, junior Matthew Lancaster, junior Ianni Morales-Diaz, junior Joshua O’Connor and junior Emma Thurston toured local downtown restaurants. They started out at Wine and Dive and Kitchen then, Bourbon and Baker, Hy-vee and lastly, Eileen’s Colossal Cookies.

“I felt the need to show the students culinary opportunities that happen right in Manhattan,” Family and Consumer Science teacher Heide Rippert said. “Some of my students are looking for internship opportunities, so I wanted to introduce them to opportunities locally where they could get their start in.”

The students were introduced to Chef Mike where he discussed the restaurant’s general concept and a tour of the kitchen. After, they ventured off to Bourbon and Baker and were introduced to Chef Zach. The students got to see the crew prep and action that they weren’t able to see at Wine and Dive and Kitchen.

“It was around lunch time when we went so we got to eat lunch which was pretty fun ,” Thurston said. “We got to try a lot of plates and were introduced to one of their bakers who worked on and developed a menu for Easter.”

The students are catering an upcoming event for the advisory committee so they went to Hy-vee to shop.

“We got an impromptu tour of their kitchens and bakery so forth,” Andresen said. “We talked about and looked at the equipment they have versus the restaurant industry. We did some shopping for the catering event and then were off to our last stop.”

The students ended the trip at Eileen’s Colossal Cookies where they looked at the equipment needs.