Thespians take off with ‘Almost Maine’

Danny Biniecki, Managing Editor

Silence is extremely rare when it comes to audience members, but when the lights went down, and Almost Maine began, they were. Thespians performed the Fall Play, Oct. 8 and 9 and the next weekend, Oct. 15 and 16. Almost Maine takes place in a town in Maine that isn’t technically a real town, hence the name Almost Maine. The story the Thespians put on shows tales of love in this town. 

“The beginning is very awkward,” freshman Micah Pape said. “Pete tries to figure out what to say which pushes his love interest away.” 

Pape’s character Pete appears three times in the show in the beginning, middle and end.

“It’s to show that the play has a happy ending,” Pape said. One of the many questions other than ‘Are the two love interests going to end up together?’ was the secret of the Northern Lights which ended every scene in a grand finale showing… something. 

“I really think the Northern Lights are up to the audience’s perceivement,” junior Sammie Holbrook said. 

Holbrook played Jimmy in Almost Maine showed us the torture of letting someone go, where his ex-girlfriend, Sandrine is getting married. At the end of that scene, right before the Northern Lights, Jimmy meets a bartender whose name sparked love in him because it was the name he had on his arm after Sandrine left. Villian. The Northern Lights appeared right after Jimmy fell in love with Villian, closing their story.

Not only is there the mystery of the Northern Lights but also what each scene represents. 

“I think the metaphor in my scene was misery brings company,” Holbrook said.

Holbrook wasn’t the only person to have a metaphor placed in their scene, everyone did. Some were easy to spot like the second scene between Easton and Laurie, where Laurie carried around her broken heart in a paper bag around with her, and some were not, like Jimmy’s scene. A metaphor in another scene is when Hope, a college girl comes back to her former boyfriend Danny, who she ran away from when he had asked her to marry him. 

“It’s the feeling of moving on when someone still holds on,” junior Micah Hidrogo, who played Danny, said. “Hope was still stuck with loving Danny but he had already moved on and the scene is literally called ‘Losing Hope.’”

The Thespians aren’t done yet. With Almost Maines success, the Thespians are moving forward with their next production “Night of Scenes.” 

“Thank you for coming!” junior Evie Dye said. “I hope everyone who came enjoyed the show and attend the next one cause we have a lot more coming this year.”