FFA takes trip to Nationals

McKenzie Thurston, Staff Writer

Bichelmeyer Meats, John Deere, the St. Louis arch, Lucas Oil stadium of the Colts, swing dancing, horse races, Poe Hamp and the Cinch World Toughest rodeo were all tour stops when Manhattan’s FFA chapter took a dozen kids to the National convention in Indianapolis during the last week in October. 

FFA is a student organization for students interested in leadership and agriculture-related careers and activities. More than 50,000 people attend the national convention this year to compete for national recognition. Over the week the kids attended different sessions where they learned about agriculture and leadership in the world.

“Day 1: We drove to Bichelmeyer Meats and learned about how they process meat and where grand champion animals are going, how much they are worth, and reasons why they can’t get processed,” senior Lilly McHugh said. “Later that day we went to John Deere and learned about their new technology in tractors and their mechanic program.” 

The additional tours away from the convention helped fill in the time so learning and fun were continuous. 

“These opportunities are definitely my favorite part of the trip,” senior Benton Kerr said. “Overall this was an amazing experience that allowed our members to gain a better understanding of the impact of agriculture in our lives as well as grow closer together as a group.” 

The next activity the FFA group has scheduled is hosting their Friendsgiving, as well as doing their yearly fundraiser from Nov. 1 to Nov. 14 and their Ag advisory board.