Global News 150217-150224

Madeline Marshall, News Editor

Terror group Al-Shabaab has released a video calling for attacks on shopping malls in Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States. Al-Shabaab, an al Qaeda-linked terror group, posted a video Saturday that talks about its September 2013 attack at an upscale mall in Nairobi. More than 60 people were killed in the siege that lasted four days. In its new video, Al-Shabaab calls for similar attacks on malls in the three Western countries. While specific mall names were given in the video, the names are not being released to the public at this point in time as government officials have stated that there is no actual working threat against any mall in the country and that no one should avoid going to a mall because of the online threat.

A grand jury has indicted the man accused of killing three Muslim students in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Craig Hicks, 46, was indicted on three counts of first-degree murder, according to the Durham County Clerk’s office. He was also charged with discharging a firearm into an occupied dwelling. Many posts attacking the Muslim faith have been found on Hick’s personal Facebook and the FBI is currently looking into the possibility of the murders being hate crimes. “This has hate crime written all over it,” Mohammad Abu Salha said as he spoke at the funeral of his two daughters, Yusor and Razan Abu Salha and his son-in-law, Deah Barakat. The actions of Hicks have further illuminated islamophobia and its affects in America.

Walmart said that it would raise salaries for 40% of its staff, as well as increasing its base hourly wage to $9 — $1.75 above the US minimum wage. By next February, all current workers will earn at least $10 per hour. The retailer has recently been under pressure from labor groups. While this increase from the current minimum wage of $7.25 is considered a step in the right direction, it is a far cry from the $15 per hour minimum wage that many are fighting for in the U.S.  Business interests view Walmart’s newly pledged pay raise as new ammunition in the fight against an increase in the federal minimum wage (President Obama is currently heading a movement to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 across the country). In raising their minimum wage, business analysts say that Walmart is trying to move wage decisions back into the private sector.