Manhattan High Night School becomes 2.0

Pupiel Anglamenga, Staff Writer

Night School has evolved into Night School 2.0 this year. The change means that instead of students being able to stay after school each day for teachers to help them with their courses, now teachers are actually teaching and students completely attending class in the evening. 

Lisa Julian is the coordinator of Night School, which is held 3:30-7:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday in the Library at West campus.

Julian said the program was introduced before COVID to meet a need of students who where unsuccessful during the school day to get access to teachers and get some additional academic support.

“They met in the digital learning lab a few days a week and worked on their course work,” Julian said.

The program has now evolved to something that offers complete courses such as Algebra 1, Geometry, Nutrition and Wellness, World History, US History, Physical Science and Biology. 

“Those are probably our most popular classes but we do have students enrolled in other classes,” Julian said.

According to Julian, there are all kinds of reasons why a student might chose to be in night school and lots of participants who could be great students.

“I think the purpose of night school is to fill a need and remove barriers for students who have some reason to learn outside of school,” Julian said. “Maybe they weren’t successful in a class and they want to retake that. Maybe they are somebody who needs to help take care of their family and they work during the school day and maybe night school works better for them there are as lot of people and lots of  characteristics that would be great in night school.”

Whether students are getting additional classes, earning a missed credit or some other reason for attending Night School, Julian believes any student can be successful through the program. 

“The things that we look for are people who can be here when they say they’re going to be here on time, ready to learn,” Julian said, “just like what we do during the regular school day.”