MHS recognizes Hispanic Heritage Month

Amylee Gil, Staff Writer

In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, many students around the campus showed their appreciation for the cultures and contributions of the Hispanic community. Members of the Hispanic Student Union made efforts to educate others on the significance and meaning behind why this designation exists. They also partnered with Spanish Club to hold a bonfire night to celebrate, along with making a display to show off in the high school.  

The poster, displayed in the library, features codes that provide educational information about the month and important people who have contributed to the Latino community. Students may have also seen cards hung around the school that feature famous Latinos from all around the world, designed to celebrate the different cultures and traditions of the Hispanic and Latino people.

“Hispanic Heritage month is obviously a very important month for many Hispanic countries because it [recognizes] when they gained their independence,” Nathaly Dosal, HSU secretary, said.

Dosal said that prior to 1988 the celebration was a week long and especially commemorated those countries that gained freedom on Sept. 15, but that changed when president Ronald Reagan adopted the 30 days of celebration spanning Sept. 15 to Oct. 15.

For Dosal, the monthlong celebration helps her connect to her heritage and culture.

“I feel like I am able to reconnect with my roots on these days since it is about my country and so many others,” she said. “It has always been a very important thing, not just for me but for my friends and family too.” 

“Hispanic Heritage month is about showing our culture and being proud of who we are and just embracing ourselves,” Esmeralda Maldonado, HSU member, said. “This month we can show people all the things we celebrate and all the important people who made change in our world. I think that their stories should be heard and over all it feels good to be able to share our beautiful views.” 

That expression of perspective is important to people in the Hispanic community, according to HSU member Yalineiz Santana.  

“It’s a time to recognize the contributions Hispanic people make and have made to our community and country,” Santana said. “I think many people don’t realize how much work the Hispanic community puts into everything they do, and I am thankful we can remember those contributions.”