Night of Scenes showcases student work

Daniel Biniecki, Managing Editor

The lights dimmed in the theater and everyone knew it was showtime for student directors at Night of Scenes. The performance of multiple student-directed shows took place Nov. 11-13. Each scene had its different plots and different humor that made every play fun to watch starting from “Burnin’ Hot” to “How to Kiss a Girl.” 

“We’ve been doing student directed performances before I got here but instead of making it an extracurricular activity awhile ago we decided to make the directors our Advanced Rep. class,” Drama teacher Virginia Pape said. 

The Advanced Rep. class included junior John Kyle, who directed “Pepperoni Apocalypse,” a dark humor piece about a cult who was about to experience the end of the world when a pizza arrives just when the world was expected to end. Kyle said he chose the show from several options Pape made available. 

“Mrs. Pape told us to get in groups of three,” Kyle said. “After we did each group got to pick a scene out of a big book of scenes Mrs. Pape has.”

After each group picked their scene the next step was to cast their show. Kyle, with co-directors Sammie Holbrook and Azrael Wolf, juniors, cast their show based on people who they knew were versatile since they were already short on time due to sickness.