‘Wednesday’: The perfect woeful show

Daniel Biniecki, Managing Editor

When they get together for Thanksgiving, some families find there’s nothing to do before the holiday. This year, families sat around the TV on Nov. 23 to watch the highly-anticipated Netflix show “Wednesday.” Based on the “Addams Family” by Charles Addams this new adaptation is directed by Tim Burton, who is well known for his horror films. “Wednesday” takes the same horror direction that Burton is known for as he creates his version of Wednesday Addams, the daughter of Gomez and Morticia Addams. 

At the beginning of the show Wednesday finds herself in trouble for putting a shoal of piranhas in the school pool that the swim team was in, because of the way they’ve been treating her brother, Pugsley Addams, and is expelled from her school. Morticia and Gomez decide that she would attend Nevermore Academy in Jericho, Vermont, the school they attended when they were Wednesday’s age. While at Nevermore, Wednesday encounters a monster that is mucking up her chances of escaping Nevermore and now that there’s a mystery she becomes intrigued with the school and its many secrets so she decides to stay.

This new Netflix horror comedy show really demonstrated how much potential Netflix has to create a series that everybody loves. Jenna Orteg,a who plays Wednesday, shows some amazing acting, only having blinked on very few occasions during the whole show, giving Wednesday the creepiness she needs. Wednesday’s relationship with every character really shows her development, as she goes from using them to get what she wants to actually caring about their well-being.

The only problem I have with the show is the classic love-triangle trope that seems to happen with all coming-of-age films. Ortega even comments on her dislike of Wednesday’s love-triangle in an interview with ExtraTV. In the show, Wednesday meets two boys: Tyler Galpin, a ‘normie’ coffee shop worker who lives in Jericho, and Xavier Thorpe, a student at Nevermore. With their type being Wednesday, both boys become pivotal to the plot and with that, their love grows for the deadpan and colorless girl who they swear is giving them ‘signs’ but is definitely not giving any ‘signs’ what-so-ever.

At the end of the day, it’s a mystery. Or rather mysteries. How does Wednesday balance the threat of the school being destroyed, two love interests, a third boy who’s a little too obsessive, a creepy principal who was roommates with Morticia, spontaneous visions, the increased amount of homicides, the popular girls, the truth that Morticia and Gomez want buried, the monster that’s lurking in the forest and the fact that she is the key to the destruction of Nevermore? Find out and watch this perfect but woeful tale on Netflix.