Soccer: sport that unifies the world

Advith Natarajan, Staff Writer

Every four years, the world comes together to celebrate the World Cup. 32 countries battle it out on the international stage to etch their name in history. The month-long tournament, which is the most watched sporting event in the world, brings excitement to every corner of the globe. 

However, often overlooked amongst the hype, is just how unique this sporting event is. 

From the impetuous fans of participating nations, to the billions of supporters watching from home, the World Cup unites people from various backgrounds, ethnicities, religions and cultures. It is the only place where the world lets go of its differences and decides to unite over a common cause: the game of football. While spectators support their respective teams with an eclectic passion, one thing remains constant: the love for the game. 

This is particularly special in the often conflicted world we live in today. We are constantly hearing about the bloodshed and political turmoil that is brewing in so many countries. And yet despite this conflict, despite the politics, players and fans alike come together to take part in the greatest show on turf. 

Football is a truly worldwide sport, and not only do we see this across the world, but we see it locally as well. On the Manhattan High School soccer team this past season, we had nearly 10 countries represented. Moreover, this group was one of many diverse high school soccer teams in the state. It was yet another testament to the worldwide significance of the sport. 

Whenever you meet someone, especially someone from another country, ask them if they follow football. I can almost guarantee you that person watches or at least enjoys football. And just like that, you already found something in common with a person you just met. Yet another example of the unifying force of football. 

So as the knockout stage of this World Cup proceeds, I want you to take a moment to appreciate the significance of this quadrennial tournament and ultimately, the beautiful game.