Movie Review: ‘The Duff’ positive, teaches defying the label

Ale Flores, Staff Writer

“The Duff” is a new movie that premiered last Friday. It is based on the book by Kody Keplinger, about Bianca, a smart, ordinary high school girl, portrayed in the movie by Mae Whitman “Parenthood,”  who after her neighbor and childhood friend (not so much a friend anymore), popular jock Wesley, played by Robbie Amell from “Tomorrow People” and “The Flash,” calls her a “Duff” (designated ugly fat friend) to her prettier and more popular best friends, Casey and Jessica, played by Skyler Samuels and Bianca Santos.

Now, to get the attention of her crush, Toby, played by Nick Eversman, Bianca needs Wesley to help her reinvent herself. But being a Duff is not her only problem; she also has to deal with Madison, played by Bella Thorne, the mean girl who is always there to remind Bianca that she is just a duff, and that she is going to use the powers of social media such as Facebook and Youtube to destroy Bianca, or at least her self-esteem. The duff is another of the many stories about how hard it can be in high school and the ways teenagers torture each other by putting labels on one another.

The funny thing is that throughout out the movie, you realize that being a Duff is not a bad thing — everybody ends up being somebody’s duff. Even though when some people see the trailer, they think of it as something mean or rude to say, I think the purpose of the movie is, on the contrary, to help kids that feel they don’t fit in know that they are as unique as they are.

“The Duff” also makes you realise that not everything that people say about you is true; for example when Wesley calls Bianca a duff a the beginning, she feels seriously offended, but after some thinking and help from her friends she realizes that being a “Duff,” even if is true, doesn’t have to be a bad or mean thing to say.

“The Duff” brought me laughs and tears and everything you want to feel in a comedy. In my opinion it was a good movie. Some people might think it was offensive, but I think the purpose of the movie was to show kids the power of good self-esteem and defying labels.