FCCLA members attend national conference

Laneya Christian, Senior Staff Writer

Two students from Manhattan High were among the winners when the MHS members of Family, Career and Community Leaders of American competed at the National Fall Conference Nov. 9-13 in Columbus, Ohio. Chapter member Taelor Goff, junior, placed first in the nation for pastry decorating and Vice President of Public Relations Madilyn Sanchez, junior, placed second in the nation for knife skills.

“It felt really good because it was my first time competing at the competition,” Goff said. “I want to go into the culinary industry to be a pastry chef so this was a good place to start.”

The students participated in a series of skilled demonstration competitions and knowledge challenges at 1 p.m. on Nov. 11 at the Hyatt Regency Columbus Hotel and Conference Center. 

“We had [Connor Andresen, Jaydin Vargas and Madilyn Sanchez] that competed in culinary knife skills competition,” FCCLA co-sponsor Heide Rippert said. “[Sammie Holbrook, Leighney Cruz and Taelor Goff] competed in a pastry decorating competition. Also, [Alyssa Camfield] competed in the consumer math knowledge challenge and Charlotte Chilton in the early childhood knowledge challenge.”

This event had an estimated guest count of roughly around 1,400 students at the conference, which held workshops and panel discussions based around FCCLA and family and consumer sciences that students could participate in.

“One of the guest speakers was from Maria’s Message,” Sanchez said. “Her father [Dom Tiberi] talked to us about what Maria’s Message is and what he’s hoping to spread and what he wants [students] to do in our future.”

On the students’ way home after the award ceremony, they stopped to get food and had a snowball fight in the Culver’s parking lot.

“The employees [stood] in the doorway watching us,” Sanchez said. “That was the most fun I had on the trip.”

Next semester, FCCLA might participate in Students Taking Action with Recognition competitive events and prepare for ProStart competition from Feb. 28 through March 1.