Down To A Science

Otis Mazurkiewicz, Staff Writer

With a feast of chicken, the Manhattan High School Science Olympiad team traveled to the Pembroke Hill School in Kansas City, to compete in eight of 23 events. Of all the 29 school teams who participated, MHS went home with a sixth-place title. 

Science Olympiad tournaments are state-based gatherings of students who spend weeks preparing certain models and projects for specific subcategories of science fields. 

Students prepare for tournaments through provided specifications for their builds, which they must meet, or they will be unable to participate in their designated event. Following those specifications, students must conduct research to fulfill their requirements, which often involves testing the models. Each week, Manhattan Science Olympiad members meet up on Wednesdays and Sundays. The students use every minute they can to work on their individual and team builds for their designated events. 

Junior Connor Buchanan is a member of the Science Olympiad. Buchanan participated in the anatomy, physiology and dynamic planet events of the tournament. He most enjoys the communication aspects of it all. 

“I always like being with the other Science Olympiad people. They are all my friends, good friends,” Buchanan said. And I also enjoy seeing other schools,” Buchanan said. “There are some science-specific events if you’re into science, or there’s stuff about nature if you’re into the environment, and there’s general stuff about building if you like building things or are interested in engineering.”

Junior Lane Burgett participated in the Wi-Fi Lab, where he competed with other schools to build the most powerful antenna. Burgett’s favorite part of the tournament was the $85 worth of Raising Canes the team purchased. 

“There was a trajectory build, which is basically where you build a ball launcher, but it has to have a variable distance from the wi-fi antenna,” Burgett said. “One of the events is called a detector build, which is where you build a scale to measure mass, but you do it all on your own and with your resources.” 

Science Olympiad opens pathways for students of all academic backgrounds to bond, and create models of scientific expression and value. This club can benefit you academically and socially, through means of opportunities to bond with your teammates and more education on specific aspects of science, based on your chosen events. 

If this club is of interest to you, feel free to contact chemistry teacher Doug Andresen or any students involved in the club.