ASU wins club volleyball event

Gabby Turner, Photo Editor

The Manhattan High Student Council has focused on activities that bring all the clubs together with the introduction of club volleyball this year. This is the first time StuCo has hosted the event since the 2019-2020 school year. 

The tournament on Feb. 22 started with a blowout win for FFA against Games Club and a close rivalry with Mock Trial and Forensics, with Mock Trial pulling out the win.

“It was freaking awesome,” Mock Trial president Sufian Khmous, junior said. “Our team came together, communicated and worked as a team.”

The teams to prevail onto the next round were Mock Trial, FFA, Hispanic Student Union, Science Olympiad, Asian Student Union, girls soccer and Black Student Union.

The second round of games began with HSU against Mock Trial. The game was full of close calls and tough competition, but HSU won the game.

In the past, HSU has won these kinds of tournaments consecutively, but was unable to keep the streak going due to COVID. This year was their year to bring it back.

Next up were blowouts, with ASU and BSU dominating over their opponents of Science Olympiad and the girls soccer team.

When asked about making the bracket, junior class treasurer Anvesha Sharda said, “[Making the bracket] was a lot of fun,”  junior class treasurer Anvesha Sharda said. “We had a lot of overlap with teams, especially ASU and SciOly. So, it was really interesting to see who played for which team and how we could approach that dynamic.”

Tensions were high in the third round, as three teams were left in the tournament. With the uneven teams, it was decided the winner of the HSU v.s. BSU would take on ASU for the first place trophy.

Not wanting to risk what was at stake, both teams battled viciously. So much so that audience members were asked to line judge to protect the sanctity of the game

In the end though, HSU made it out with the win, leaving them to face ASU.

Both teams put in the effort, but ASU had the skill and communication to be able to cross the finish line.

“I was so happy that we won.” ASU club member Abigail Gruber, junior, said. “It was great to get the first ASU volleyball win.”

“Being able to represent my club and have fun with all the other groups was a really great opportunity.” HSU club member Jarvin Gomez, junior, said. “I can’t wait for our comeback.”