ASU Events Bring Students Together

Photo Courtesy of Lane Lewison

Asian Student Union is one of many clubs here at Manhattan High School that has recently brought in new students has had the chance to reach a younger group of people. With freshman now at West Campus, the club has a chance to reach a younger group of people.

The members of ASU enjoy the community because of it’s member diversity.

“I think we have a variety of people from a variety of friend groups,” ASU member Angie Chae said.

The atmosphere in ASU makes all of the students within the club, Asian or not, feel welcome.

“I think when we have that…everyone feels … pretty comfortable there. It’s a pretty safe space for everyone to … feel accepted.” ASU member Ethan Xin said. “With all the freshman at West Campus it’s definitely more diverse and representative of all the Asian cultures we have at the school.”

ASU has set-up potlucks and other events in the past as well as more planned in the future that help with bringing awareness to the Asian culture and the influence it has at MHS

“We had our potluck Saturday, and yeah it was fun.” Chae said.

These kinds of events allow students at MHS to learn about Asian culture and for them to meet new people and potentially make some new friends. “I think just meeting new people [favorite part] because a lot of times I hang out with my own circle of friends…ASU meetings and potlucks gives me the opportunity to meet new people of different grades, like freshmen.”

All in all, ASU provides a way for all students to connect. Whether your thing is potlucks or conversations ASU has a place for you.