The Mentor

The Mentor

The Mentor

MHS Choir Continues to Shine 

Choir has always been a staple at Manhattan High School, with a full trophy case to show for it as well.

Whether it be show choir or regular choir, a group of people always come out to the theater for their performances.

“I would describe it as an experience,” senior Cooper Pfannenstiel said. “You start out brand new, knowing nothing, and by the first week you’re already learning 10-page songs, cranking out All-State music, working on solos and Mr. [Chad] Pape puts us to work.” 

While some people may only see choir as a bunch of high schoolers singing after school, it has so many more layers to it.

“It’s a very interactive and fun class, everyone becomes friends really easily, we have a really good community and you make really good friendships with everyone,” senior Gabby Herzog said.

Friendships are a massive part of choir, with everyone in the group becoming close friends even outside of school. 

“It’s really easy to be friends with the people in your section because you’re all singing the same part and once you become friends, you make plans outside of school and talk with each other because you all have similar things in common with each other,” Herzog said.

At MHS, tons of new kids come in every year from all over the world.

Junior Alexandra Lapshova, a student from Ukraine, described the choir as a warm welcome to MHS.

“It’s a close-knit community that extends beyond rehearsals and as a new student choir became my gateway to friendships,” Lapshova said.

As almost all the choir members will tell you, Chad Pape is the highlight of their days.

“I really love Mr. Pape,” Herzog said. “He’s gotten me through so much since my freshman year.”

Pfannenstiel agrees that the teacher is one of the best things about being in choir.

“Mr. Pape, he’s the best,” Pfannenstiel said. “He knows how to take jokes and knows how to dish them out; he’s also serious and picks great music that he wants to connect with us through the music and I think that’s the best thing about choir.”