Recent FCCLA News

Manhattan High members of Family, Career and Community Leaders of America have had an exciting fall semester as they competed at the Cook Around the World competition in Disney World last April, prepared a three-course meal for Career and Technical Education teachers in October, and attended their National Fall Conference in Birmingham, Alabama, in November. 

FCCLA is a nationwide club offered at MHS. It relates to all aspects of Family and Consumer Science. FCCLA gathers members to learn about a range of different Family and Consumer Science events from culinary skills to fashion design and even public speaking. There are currently over 50 competitive events listed on the national FCCLA website, fcclainc.org

At Manhattan High School, the current advisors are Heidi Rippert and Alex Wulfkuhle. The president is senior Charlotte Chilton and the vice president is senior Taelor Goff.

“There’s something for everyone to enjoy and compete in. It’s not just about food,” Chilton said. 

“You get the opportunity to go to conferences and learn more about how to be a leader,” Goff said. 

Members explored many types of cuisine while at the Cook Around the World competition. They also were able to practice their culinary skills last October when the CTE staff enjoyed a three-course meal after touring the new culinary classroom. 

Members had a positive experience at the November National Fall Conference as they were able to interact with other FCCLA members from different states and spend time bonding as a club. The members competed in multiple events and earned three top placements in their categories. Senior Charlotte Chilton placed third in level 3 food art, senior Taelor Goff placed second in level 3 knife skills and freshman Nathan DeArmond placed first in level 2 knife skills. Chilton and Goff also received scholarships to two different universities.

This conference also marked the beginning of a season of conferences and competitions they will attend this school year. In February, a select group of FCCLA members will go to Blue Valley-Randolf to vote on the District leaders. They will also practice judging events. They have another competition, called ProStart, this March, which takes place in Wichita. At Prostart, a team of four MHS students will be challenged to create a three-course meal in an hour.

“Our FCCLA chapter competes in this every year so we’re all very excited to compete again,” Chilton said. 

To stay engaged with all of FCCLA’s upcoming events and learn more about the club, meetings occur the first Wednesday of each month, they have an instagram account @mhk_fccla or ask Ms. Rippert, Ms. Wulfkuhle, Chilton, or Goff any and all questions about FCCLA.