The Science Olympiad Approaches the Final Stretch

The MHS Science Olympiad team is going to Regionals with momentum.

“The season is going very well,” coach Austin Becker said. “I think working on builds [will be a focus] a lot of our students have been studying for tests [so] making sure our builds are ready to set up as well [will be important for regionals].”

They have placed third in three out of five invitational tournaments so far. Chem Lab members, juniors Jonathon Bachmeier and David Li, remain undefeated for every tournament, taking first four times. Other events like detector building, forestry, fossils and Microbe Mission have consistently performed well. Most recently, the team competed at Oak Park High School, where the team scored an impressive top nine in every event (out of over 20 schools in the KC area). With regionals coming up on Feb. 27, the team hopes to make progress on their build events and keep improving as a team. 

“The season has been pretty great,” senior Connor Buchanan said. “Especially with one of the events I’m involved in, Flight, it has had some pretty cool progress over the years and over this season.”

Buchanan’s flight machine placed a personal best third place at the Oak Park invitational this past weekend. 

“So far [the season] has gone pretty good … our team consistently places in the top five as a school and I like that,” junior Patrick Fu said. “I think we’re pretty set going to Regionals.”