FFA concludes National Week

Coming off of national FFA Week, the Manhattan High FFA chapter has been busy this year.

“The whole entire point of all these competitions is to prepare you for your future,” junior Ryder Karl said.

The club has been competing all year long with plenty of top five finishes. The club competes in competitions called Career Development Events. 

They have many different competitions at the CDEs including food science where they eat food and answer questions on the FDA, public speaking where they prepare a speech for judges, cattle and livestock judging, and job interviewing where you role play getting interviewed for a job. 

“You know, we’re not first place usually but we’re starting to get there. I feel like if we get some more smart people up here we can definitely take home the first,” Karl said. “We got third and second in a few of them.”

Junior Easton Ford has also competed at several CDEs this year. 

“A big one that we do is food signs. It’s like food safety. And our school is usually pretty good at that,” Ford said.

So far on the year the team has finished top five in almost all of their competitions and have taken second and third a couple of times.

“Individually we always have top 10 finishers,”Ford said. “We haven’t won a competition yet but we’ve got second this year. Usually we do pretty good. We’re never last, we are kind of always in the middle towards the top five.”

Besides all the competition, the club also helps out in the community.

“We’re about to read to some kids.” Karl said, “So we’re about to go down to the Catholic school and Bergman and read books to the children.”