The Mentor

The Mentor

The Mentor

Girls Fall short at State tournament

The Manhattan High girls basketball team lost 50-35 to Shawnee Mission South after a rough second half.

Manhattan came out strong in the first quarter with three straight threes from senior Maxine Doering and sophomores Kat Ball and Delaney Larson. South responded to all of Manhattan’s threes with a basket of their own as MHS held a 9-6 lead early in the first. To finish out the first South had a 8-2 run as South took a 14-11 lead after the first.

The Lady Indians respond quickly in the second quarter as they took the lead 20-16 with a 9-2 run with the help of Doering and Ball knocking down three’s. With four minutes until the half both teams went back-and-forth with Manhattan scoring five and South scoring four as MHS took a 25-20 lead going into the half.

In the third Manhattan struggled to get anything going as they scored only one basket and a couple of free throws on the other side, South found a rhythm as they outscored MHS 17-5 as SMS took a 37-30 lead with a quarter left to play.

With a quarter left to play MHS couldn’t get anything going as they only scored five free throws in the fourth while SMS scored 13 ending the season for the Lady Indians 35-50 in the first round of State.

MHS finished the season as Sub-State champions with a 12-11 record.