The Mentor

The Mentor

The Mentor

Model UN Attends Conferences

Last month, Manhattan High students attended the Model UN conference in Topeka.

“The Model UN club deals with current political issues facing countries,” Gerald Butler, Model UN sponsor, said.

Model UN members commit a lot of time to the activities they use at the conference. 

“I’ve been doing Model UN ever since I was in seventh grade, so almost five years,” president Anvesha Sharda, senior, said.

The Model UN conference was a success, according to participating students.

“It went very well. I think all the officers did their jobs very well,” Secretary General Ryan Thein, senior, said.

The Model UN club seems to be a tight knit community with a strong interest in global issues. They debate things the real UN would, like border issues or ongoing wars and how to solve them.

“They have passion for issues, not just domestic but also international, so they are trying to figure out ways to solve them,” Thein said. 

The Model UN program has been getting more people aware of global issues, as senior Allina Doughterty received second place for her council delegation and Thein once again won best officer. Being part of this group has led to some fond memories for members.

“I’d say my fondest memory was last year being able to go to the event in person and meet everyone,” Sharda said.

Thein is another member who has been building those memories since middle school.

“So it was back in seventh grade when I was the delegate for Iceland and I won the best authorship award,” Thein said, “and it showed me that this club was worth doing.”